- A week-long intensive course in snow and ice
- Ascent of the highest summit in Tyrol- The Wildspitze 3,768 m!
- Small groups (4:1 maximum rate)
- 6 full days in the mountains with an IFMGA Guide/Aspirant
- Top “mountains” gear- all the technical gear is provided- free of charge!
About the activity
During this course you will learn how to climb on our own snow and ice summits in glaciated terrain. Our guides will teach you how to tie in for a glacier travel, how to perform crevasse rescue and many other skills concerning general mountaineering.
- Necessary knots and equipment “knowhow”
- Walking on snow and ice while using ice axe and crampons
- Glacier travel and crevasse rescue
- Self-arrest on snow
- Basic belaying skills in alpine terrain
- Route planning and orientation training
Day 1: All our “Austrian Alps” courses start in Füssen im Allgäu (Germany) you will meet the guide at 17:00 for a briefing and gear distribution. After dinner you will practice together knots that will be used later in the course.
Day 2: Driving with the guide to the trailhead in Mittelberg in the Pitztal, where we will start the 2.5 hours walk to the Taschachhaus (2,440 m). After a short break and hut check-in, we will learn how to belay and move efficiently and balanced on rock with heavy hiking boots/approach shoes. (about 2.5 hours walk).
Day 3: The Tascachhaus is at a perfect location for mountaineering courses, after breakfast, we will cross over to the Taschachferner (The Taschach glacier) and learn how to walk on snow and ice, the usage of ice exe and crampons and self-arrest. In the evening, we will plan together our route for the next day (about 1 hour walk hut-glacier).
Day 4: An early start and off we go to climb our first alpine summit, such as the Sexegerten Spitze (3400 m). The summit has a classical snow and ice route with an exciting step of “Via Feratta” at the start, to get us to the glacier. We will learn how to choose the best path as well as the energy efficient way to move on a mountaineering day. (about 1000 m elevation, 5-6 hours walk, short section of Via ferrata in the beginning)
Day 5: Today we will learn the different anchor systems in snow and ice as well as rescue systems required to hoist a person from a crevasse- an essential safety skill that every mountaineer should master.
Day 6: Alpine start at 4 am, a quick breakfast and we head via the Taschachferner to Tyrol’s highest summit- the Wildspitze (3760 m). After enjoying the breath-taking views, we will head down together to the hut to celebrate our last night there with fine food, beer and wine (1200 meters elevation, 10 hours walk, short section of scrambling)
Day 7: A short day-Some bits and pieces in the morning close to the hut and a descent to the valley; a drive back to Füßen, gear return and independent preparation before the rest of your travel. We will be back at the hotel in Füssen at about 17:00, return the equipment and debrief the course.
Day 8: Independent checkout after breakfast.
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Level & difficulty
- Experience in trekking and mountain walks. Applicants for the course should be sure- footed and and handle exposure well.
- Ability to ascend per day 1,300 meters elevation while maintaining a reasonable walking speed (fitness level B) with a light backpack.
- No need to present previous experience in rock and ice.
Price and details
1,150 € per person
The Price Includes:
- 6 full days in the mountains.
- Planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/Aspirant.
- Guiding in a min 1:3 - max 1:4 ratio (allows a fast progress).
- Modern & advanced, technical equipment (excluding clothing and shoes).
- Transportation during the activity.
* Price does not include:
- Flights and insurances.
- Transportation to or from Füssen before and after the activity.
- Mountaineering shoes rental.
- 2 nights + halfboard in a hotel in Füssen Germany (68 €).
- 5 nights in an alpine hut + halfboard (60 € for alpine club member).
- Gear transport from the valley to the hut (8 €).
- Total price estimation 1,600 €
Dates and Bookings
Classical alpinism #1: 20.07.2019 - 26.07.2019
Classical alpinism #2: 16.09.2019 - 22.09.2019
Use this link to book the activity