- Small groups- maximum 4 students!
- Modern gear provided without extra charge
- Our course’s location provides very reliable ice conditions
- At the end of the activity the students are able to climb independently single pitch icefalls!
About The Activity
Waterfall ice climbing is one of the most spectacular arts of winter sports, and the Dolomites are one of the best places to climb ice! Our course with its low tutoring ratio ensures a safe framework, effective learning and flexibility. During this course we will acquire the “know how” to tackle on our own and lead climb a single pitch on ice in a safe and professional style.
Day 1: Meeting point at 5pm at our hotel in the valley, introduction talk, equipment handover, eventually introduction to various knots.
Day 2: First ice climbing day. Depending on condition in the Tannheimertal or on our way to the Hotel in South Tirol (Italy). Introduction to using ice axes and crampons in easy terrain.
Day 3: Technique improvement- The entire day will be dedicated to learn how to climb ice properly in varied techniques. At some stage we will get into placing and “cleaning” of ice screws, preparation of gear, building belay stances in ice for top-rope and rappelling. Video analysis.
Day 4: Pseudo lead climbing day and technique improvement- we put into good practice what you have learned the days before and in addition, we keep on working on climbing techniques - how to climb efficiently and economical, how to pass an ice bulge, how to traverse in ice and to move a bit faster while climbing- just to name a few examples. In parallel we will get into lead climbing while at first as a pseudo lead and later- on the option to lead the same icefall if you feel ready. Video analysis.
Day 5: Lead climbing in ice single pitch. Step by step- we will warm up on top-rope, get our confident and try to end the day when everyone was leading an icefall while placing screws.
Day 6: Under the supervision of the guide you are going to lead-climb all day long, while building rappel stances and being self-sufficient. The activity will end at the late afternoon.
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Level & Technical Ability
Price and Services
1150,00 € per person*
- 5 days of intensive ice climbing
- planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/ aspirant.
- *group size: min/max: 4 participants.
- avalanche safety equipment
- modern & high-level ice climbing equipment (excluding clothing and shoes)
- video analysis
- transportation during the activity
- flights/ traveling costs
- personal insurances
- mountaineering shoes rental (in case needed)
- overnights in the valley (1/2 pension 50- 69 € per night for a participant sharing a double& triple bedroom)
- estimated total expenses 1350,00 €
Dates and Booking
22.01.2023 - 27.01.2023
Here you can book online!