- A dream course for the winter alpinist!
- A rare combination between multi pitch ice climbing, winter mountaineering and avalanche assessment according to the highest international standards!
- Intensive course with 9 full days in the mountains!
- Small groups with max 4 participants!
About the activity
An advanced course for climbers who would like to develop their winter skills and a great combination with one of our other ice climbing courses (for example our advanced ice climbing course in Tyrol or in the Dolomites).
Timetable for an exemplary combination with our Dolomites course:
Day 1: Meeting point at 5pm in the hotel in Füssen (Allgäu). introduction talk, equipment handover, eventually introduction to various knots.
Day 2: First ice climbing day. Depending on condition in the Tannheimertal or on our way to the Hotel in South Tirol (Italy). Introduction to using ice axes and crampons in easy terrain.
Day 3: Technique improvement- The entire day will be dedicated to learn how to climb ice properly in varied techniques. At some stage we will get into placing and “cleaning” of ice screws, preparation of gear, building belay stances in ice for top-rope and rappelling. Video analysis.
Day 4: Pseudo lead climbing day and technique improvement- we put into good practice what you have learned the days before and in addition, we keep on working on climbing techniques - how to climb efficiently and economical, how to pass an ice bulge, how to traverse in ice and to move a bit faster while climbing- just to name a few examples. In parallel we will get into lead climbing while at first as a pseudo lead and later- on the option to lead the same icefall if you feel ready. Video analysis.
Day 5: Lead climbing in ice single pitch. Step by step- we will warm up on top-rope, get our confident and try to end the day when everyone was leading an icefall while placing screws.
Day 6: Under the supervision of the guide you are going to lead-climb all day long, while building rappel stances and being self-sufficient. In the afternoon we will drive back together to our starting point in Füssen. ETA to Füssen at ca. 18:00.
Depending on conditions we might change location in the early evening for the second part of the course.
Day 7: First day of avalanche awareness training. Introduction to avalanche mechanics.
Day 8: Route planning in the morning (it might be a summit, an icefall with a long approach or a combination between the two). Risk assessment on route. In the afternoon we will practice the technical usage of an avalanche transceiver while finding multi burial sites of avalanche victims.
Day 9: A day-mountaineering trip and an on-going risk assessment with “Caution avalanches”.
Day 10: A roll play of a multi victim avalanche site and a summary of the course. End of activity in the late afternoon.
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Levels & Technical Ability
- The activity is hard and intense- a very good level of physical fitness is required (fitness level C).
- Basic experience in ice climbing is required for our Alpine Semester- for example finishers of our Dolomites course (technical level 3) For the dolomites course we request the people to come with rock climbing experience but there is no need for previous ice climbing experience.
- experience in rock climbing including lead climbing and belaying (technical level 2) is required.
Price and Services
1770,00 € per person* including the Dolomites Course and the alpine Semester
770,00 € per person* only for the Alpine Semester
- 9/4 full days in the mountains.
- Planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/Aspirant.
- Guiding in a min/max 1:4 ratio (allows a fast progress).
- Avalanche safety equipment.
- Modern & high level ice climbing equipment (excluding clothing and shoes).
- Video analysis.
- Transportation during the activity.
- "Mountains" Certificate.
- flights/ traveling costs to Füssen
- personal insurances
- mountaineering shoes rental (in case needed)
- overnights in a mountain hut or in the valley (1/2 pension 55- 65€ per night for a participant sharing a double bedroom)
- food and beverages outside of the half pension
- estimated total expenses 1950,00 €
- The estimated total expenses sum (though calculated conservatively) is only an estimation and may vary.
- Any participant who decided not to take part in one or more of the courses contents, will not receive any refund.
Dates and Booking
31.01.2022 - 09.02.2022 (together with the ice climbing course in the Dolomites)
05.02.2022 - 09.02.2022 (for people with previous ice climbing experience)
Here you can book online!