- A dream course for the winter alpinist!
- A rare combination between ice climbing, winter mountaineering and avalanche assessment according to the highest international standards!
- Intensive course with 9 full days in the mountains!
- Small groups with only 4 participants!
About the activity
An advanced course for climbers who would like to develop their winter skills.
Day 1: Meeting point at 5 pm in the Hotel in Füssen. Welcome, course briefing, distribution safety equipment.
Day 2: First ice climbing day. Depending on condition in the Tannheimertal or on our way to the Hotel in South Tirol (Italy). Introduction to using ice axes and crampons in easy terrain.
Day 3: Ice protection & technique improvement. The entire day will be dedicated to learn how to lead climb on ice. Placing and cleaning of ice screws, preparation of gear, building belay stances in ice. Additionally, working on climbing techniques - how to climb efficiently and economical, how to pass an ice bulge and how to traverse and to move fast on ice just to name a few examples. At the end of the day- a video analysis.
Day 4: Lead climbing in ice: at first a pseudo lead climb while placing ice screws and later on the option to lead the same icefall, while independently placing screws. In the evening a video analysis.
Day 5: Preparation day for multi-pitch climbing. How to build a stance and ropehandling on a multi-pitch climb in ice.
Day 6: Multi pitch climb - under the supervision of the guide you are going to climb a long waterfall while switching leads. This is one of the most significant days of the course & for most of the participants an absolute highlight.
Depending on conditions we might change location in the early evening for the second part of the course.
Day 7: First day of avalanche awareness training. Introduction to avalanche mechanics.
Day 8: Route planning in the morning (it might be a summit, an icefall with a long approach or a combination between the two). Risk assessment on route. In the afternoon we will practice the technical usage of an avalanche transceiver while finding multi burial sites of avalanche victims.
Day 9: A day-mountaineering trip and an on-going risk assessment with “Caution avalanches”
Day 10: A roll play of a multi victim avalanche site and a summary of the course. End of activity in the late afternoon.
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Levels & Technical Ability
Dates and Booking
Option 1: 18.01.2020 - 23.01.2020
Option 2: 01.02.2020 - 11.02.2020
Here you can book online!
Price and Services
1350,00 € per person*
* In a group of 4 participants
- 9 full days in the mountains.
- Planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/Aspirant.
- Guiding in a max 1:4 ratio (allows a fast progress).
- Avalanche safety equipment.
- Modern & high level ice climbing equipment (excluding clothing and shoes).
- Video analysis.
- Transportation during the activity.
- "Mountains" Certificate.
- flights/ traveling costs to Füssen
- personal insurances
- mountaineering shoes rental (in case needed)
- overnights in a mountain hut or in the valley (1/2 pension 55- 65€ per night for a participant sharing a double bedroom)
- food and beverages outside of the half pension
- estimated total expenses 1900,00 €
- The estimated total expenses sum (though calculated conservatively) is only an estimation and may vary.
- Any participant who decided not to take part in one or more of the courses contents, will not receive any refund.