- A week-long intensive course for people with basic mountaineering experience
- A Chamonix based course- in the heart of the French Alps!
- Skills in alpine rock, snow and ice!
- Small groups (4:1 maximum rate)
- 6 full days in the mountains with an IFMGA Guide/Aspirant
About the activity
Our Chamonix, Classical alpinism course is a “bridge” to use while crossing over from basic to technical contents in mountaineering.
The activity is suitable for our classical mountaineering Wildspitze past students or students who completed a similar basic one week course.
- Refreshing your knowledge in necessary knots and equipment “knowhow”
- Refreshing your knowledge in glacier travel and crevasse rescue
- Anchors in snow & ice and rope manipulations
- Leading and basic multi pitch skills on rock and steep ice
- Independent route planning and orientation
Day 1- Meeting at 17:00 in Chamonix/Argentiere- the exact hotel’s address will be sent to you before the activity – for a briefing and a gear check.
Day 2- Rock day in the valley- refreshing your rock skills- belaying and leading
Day 3- Rock day in the valley- moving into short pitching and a multi pitch climb
Day 4- After Breakfast we will head up to an alpine hut (the Albert 1er or the Argentiere hut are both a good options) and dust our cramponing skills- walking on snow and ice, correct usage of ice axe and a quick prepping of belay system on snow and ice, steep ice climbing, protecting, belaying and rappelling.
Day 5- An alpine ascent such as Aiguille de Tour 3,540 m or the Petit Foursch 3,520 m - it’s a great training ground for safe movement on alpine rock terrain with mountaineering boots and crampons. (1000 m elevation gain, 5 hours walking, climbing up to UIAA III) and descent to the valley.
Day 6- We will cross over to the Italian side of the Mt. Blanc and with the cable car, reach the Turin hut (3,371 m), after which we will climb a summit accessible from the hut. We will spend an overnight in the hut.
Day 7- Another allpine ascent from the hut and descent to the valley- drive back to Chamonix and a courses end (course's end estimation at 17:00).
* The mentioned timetable is exemplary and may vary due to conditions, ability of the participants, safety & weather limitations.
Fitness Level & difficulty
Price and details
1,200 € per person*
The Price Includes:
- 6 full days in the mountains.
- Planning and guiding by an IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guide/Aspirant.
- Guide's expenses
- * Guiding in a min/max 1:4 ratio (allows a fast progress).
- Transportation during the activity.
Price does not include:
- Flights and insurances.
- Equipment rental/purchase- in our technical courses we expect our clients to provide the equipment for the activity.
- Transportation to or from the airport to Chamonix/Argentiere.
- Nights + half board in a hotel in Argentiere/Chamonix (about 80 € a night).
- Nights in an alpine hut + half board (about 60 € for alpine club member).
- Mechanical lifts and cable cars (about 80 €).
- Total price estimation 1,500 €
Dates and bookings
Classical alpinism Chamonix: 08.08.2022 - 14.08.2022
Use this link to book the activity
Gear list- personal clothing:
- Mountaineering boots crampons compatible
- Light approach shoes
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing pants
- Light water proof pants and jacket (Gore-Tex/Similar)
- Fleece jacket
- 1X thermal long underwear
- 2X thermal long-sleeved shirt
- 2/3X thermal warm socks
- Waterproof gloves with fingers separation
- Thin gloves
- Warm hat
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses (minimum factor 3)
- Headlamp+spair batteries
- Walking poles (optional)
- Down jacket/Prima-loft (optional)
- Sunscreen and lip balm (minimum spf 40)
- Gaiters (optional)
- Lining (hut sleeping sheet) for the nights in the hut
- Small bathing kit and medications
Gear list- personal climbing gear:
- 2X ice screws (19 cm and 16 cm)
- 1X general mountaineering ice axe (“Walking”)
- Crampons semi-automatic/automatic with anti-balling system
- 4X locking karabiners
- 3X snap link karabiners
- 3X 6 mm Prusiks ("tied" 2m, 1m, 30 cm)
- 2X 120 cm slings
- 5 quick draws
- Belay device suitable for rappelling (for example ATC)
- 30-40 litre rucksack
- 50 m single rope
- set of "stoppers" various sizes (for example: Black d. size #4-#11)
- small set of "friends" various sizes (for example: Black d. size #0.4- #2)
- nut tool
* before the activity you will have the opportunity to coordinate the gear issues within the group